Since the time we travel around the world and we are told about our adventures in our travel blog , we wanted to give you our tips to properly prepare your travel medicine kit . The holiday pharmacy kit should be first and foremost a first aid kit, a real survival kit . It must contain medicines, essential items that we will detail and important documents related to your health.
In short, we will tell you everything to help you stay at ease and safe during your future travels . It is important, if not essential, to prepare your travel medicine kit especially when traveling independently, but also when you are opting for a tour .
The names of the medicines mentioned in this article are given for information purposes only .Obviously we are not replacing family doctors. Before a trip, we advise you to contact your doctor to take stock of the vaccines.
Here are our tips for organizing your travel medicine kit, as well as our list of essential medicines to deal with the relatively common illnesses or other bobos that you can contract while traveling.
When organizing your travel medicine kit, here are the main points to remember:
- Kit is as compact as possible, wear-resistant and hermetic.
- You need to know exactly what is in your pharmacy kit and how to use it. Prepare a list of the medications you take, the symptoms they treat, the dosage, etc.
- The content should be tailored to your needs, taking into account geographic considerations and planned activities.
Find our list of useful links at the bottom of the article
01. What to take with you when traveling
Here are the essential items to include in your travel first aid kit.
ZIP bags useful !!!
- Adhesive bandages, dressings of several sizes
- Scissors, tweezers (sea urchins, splints for example)
- Sterile gauze compresses
- Antibacterial hand sanitizer
- Anti-bacterial and antifungal spray or cream
- Antiseptic wipes
Do not forget that sharp objects, such as scissors, must be kept in checked baggage if you travel by air. Find out more about the rules and instructions by plane . You will know almost everything on the size of cabin baggage and hold baggage .
02. Take-home medications
Here is a list of some of the medications we always carry with us on our long trips.
The names of the medicines are given for information! Consult your doctor to determine which medications are best for you (due to allergies, other medications, etc.).
► Make sure you bring enough medicine for your entire trip.
- Drugs anti-diarrheal : Severe diarrhea: Zithromax / Diarrhrées: Imodium
- Intestinal dressings : Smecta
- Drugs anti-nausea , anti vomiting: Vogalène
- Fever and pain / Anti-inflammatory. Moderate: Analgesic (attenuates pain): Dafalgan(paracetamol) / Intense: analgesic: Ibuprofen (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory). Caution: do not associate with anti-inflammatories or corticosteroids.
- Stomach Pain : Spasfon
- Itching : Diprosone (local corticosteroid) for reactions to nasty insect bites
- Allergy : Aerius , anti allergic without fatigue effect (good walking for allergy to jellyfish)
- Infection of the eye : Azyter 1 dose . Antibiotic if infection of the eye, conjunctivitis.
- Antibiotic broad spectrum and antibacterial (angina, cutaneous infections, ENT infection): Pyostacine
► Keep packaging (original container labeled)
► When traveling by plane, keep the medication you really need in your hand luggage if your main luggage is lost.
03. Take it with you on the go
You can also include in your travel medicine kit other items, depending on your destination and the nature of your trip:
- Solar cream
- Cream, after-sun lotion: Biaphine
- Anti-mosquito spray
- Earplugs / Earplugs
- Water purification tablets
04. Important documents related to your health
Finally, here are some important documents that you will need to include in a medical emergency.
- Local emergency telephone numbers (nearest hospitals, for example).
- Proof of your health insurance coverage.
- A copy of your vaccination records, including a yellow fever vaccination certificate if required by the country you are going to visit.
- A contact card with information about you: accommodation at your holiday location, a family member, the embassy of your country of origin in your country of destination and the emergency number of your health insurance.
05. Some anecdotes and bobos
- Richard cut his arm by broken glass at a party with friends in a bar in the Olympic Port inBarcelona . It was bloody that the first helpers intervened. Small ambulance tour because the hospital is very close. A few bonus stitches. The pharmacy kit would not have suffic …
- Franck opened his skull during our trip to Brazil , in the Amazon, on the morning of the trek. And yes, if you follow our adventures on our travel blog, you may have noticed that Franck wears a cap on all the videos and all the photos until the end of the adventure. It was to avoid infections, flies and their nice eggs … It was in the village of Alter do Chao where we had put down our backpacks a few days that the event took place. On the morning of the departure for 3 days of trek in the Amazon, Franck bumped against the clim and did not miss.In a few seconds, he found himself covered in blood, close to losing consciousness.Completely sounded Richard rushed him to the health center which, by chance, was in front of our dwelling. The nurses were great. The place was very clean and the welcome warm. And all that, in the middle of the Amazon rainforest!
- Franck , again, stung by an unidentified flying insect in Mexico . It is precisely in the region of Oaxaca during a visit of ruins not tourist at all, that alone, we walked in the middle of the old stones. Suddenly, a cloud of insects of red color, the size of a dragonfly has taken flight under our feet. Franck was taken to the leg of an intense pain. He was walking in Bermuda shorts. Since then, he only wears pants The leg started to swell enormously and it stings !!!Obliged to join, leg in the air at the back of our rental vehicle, the nearest town. A few hundred kilometers away we finally find a hotel with a doctor’s permanence. Some hidden and care ointments later, everything finally came back in order. We will probably never know the name of these dirty creatures.